Does my product need a CRN? Check here: Do I Have a Vessel or Fitting and here: Piping – Do I Need a Registration.

Do I need to hydrostatically test my fitting? Hydrostatic or pneumatic test requirements for a fitting depend on the standard that the fitting is designed to.

For example if B31.3 is used as the design code then: “Prior to initial operation and after completion of the applicable examinations required by para. 341, each piping system shall be tested to ensure leak tightness.” (345.1)

For example if B16.5 (pipe flanges and flanged fittings) is used as the design code then: “Flanges are not required to be pressure tested” (8.1) however, if the item is a flanged fitting, then “each flanged fitting shall be given a shell pressure test” (8.2.1)

For example if B16.9 (factory made wrought buttwelding fittings) is used as the design code then: “Hydrostatic testing of wrought fittings is not required by this standard.” (10)

For example if B16.34 (valves – flanged, threaded and welding end) is used as the design code then: “Each valve shall be given a shell test…” (7.1)

For example if VIII-1 (pressure vessels) is used as the design code then: “A hydrostatic test shall be conducted on all vessels…” (UG-99(a)).

What happens if I Don’t apply for a CRN? There are a large number of fittings, piping systems and pressure vessels in use in Canada that require CRNs but were never registered. These products are often uncovered during authorized inspector visits or insurance audits. If a product is discovered while it is in use, then someone has to go through the effort to get it registered at that point. If it cannot be registered then it must be replaced.

I can’t get my jurisdiction to answer my questions – what should I do? First ensure you are giving them all the information they need to answer your question? We suggest submitting the application in writing along with all required information. Include a purchase order and required upfront fees the same as if the product is being registered. Ask for a response in writing. Having a letter on file stating that your vessel does not need registering is useful during an audit. Saying that you talked to someone and they said that your vessel was okay will not work.

What paper work do I need to get a CRN for a Vessel or Fitting? See How Do I Apply for a CRN?

Do I need a professional engineers stamp on my submission? See Provincial Contacts

How long will it take to get a CRN? How much will it cost? Is it worthwhile? See Review Times

Do I need to update my Pressure Vessel calculations with each code revision? Manufacturers have to re-run or review the calculations each year to determine that the design is still valid. The authorized inspector confirms that the calculations are current or reviewed. (This is the same requirement for National Board fabrication.)

What Material can my Fitting be made from? SeeUnlisted Materials

Can I make my Fitting from plastic? Yes – see Registration of Plastic Fittings

Can I use Finite Element Analysis (FEA) to design to VIII-1 (Pressure Vessel Code)? See Nozzle Pro and Evolving Acceptance.

How long can I manufacture Pressure Vessels to my CRN? The CRN for a pressure vessel is valid for the life of the vessel. For a manufacturer, the CRN can be used until the code changes enough to require the design to be changed.

How long can I manufacture Fittings to my CRN? The CRN for a fitting is valid for 10 years. After that time, the design must be re-registered. For a fitting registered across Canada, all the CRNs expire once the first CRN expires. The expiry date is written on the documentation you get back from your jurisdictions.

Do I need to update my Fitting calculations with each code revision? Calculations are not normally updated until it is time to re-register the design.

I manufacture a fitting that will have my customer’s name on it, not mine. How do I register it? The logos that will be affixed to the product need to be indicated on the statutory declaration. Multiple logos can be registered. If the logos will not fit on the box on the statutory declaration page, put them on an additional page.

I need to change the design of my vessel. Do I need to get it re-registered? Typically the answer is yes. Some leeway is granted if the change does not alter the calculation set. For example, you add another nozzle to a vessel identical to one that already exists, and the nozzles are far enough apart that they do not interfere – no new CRN is normally required. If the nozzle requires new calculations, then normally the design will need registering. Enquire with your jurisdiction for more info.

Can I change the operating conditions on my vessel without re-registering it? Maybe – if the calculation set does not need to be re-run because of the change, then you might not need to re-register it. Call your jurisdiction.

I need to modify a registered vessel. Do I need to re-register it? If the calculations do not need to be updated then the answer is probably no – example, addition of a nozzle identical to one already on the vessel that is not too close to another nozzle – then you will probably not need to re-register it. You must contact your local authorized inspector. Note: work must be performed by a company with a valid QC certificate like an ASME “R” stamp.

I have a used vessel that was registered in another province. Do I need to re-register it to move it to my province?Yes – you need to submit the original calculations and drawings or re-create calculations and drawings if the originals cannot be found. Requirements vary, but most commonly the calculations need to be re-run using original year of construction stress allowables, but using the latest code rules. A photograph of the nameplate and the manufacturer’s data report are required. A used vessel might need some inspection like ultrasonic testing to prove that the vessel is still adequate. The installation location will be required. For typical requirements see BCSA. Note: for many older vessels the impact test requirements cannot be met.

I have a new vessel from another country. Can I get it registered in Canada? Maybe – are the calculations and drawings available? Is the code of construction acceptable? The most difficult vessels to register are done in codes other than ASME with non ASME materials.

I am importing a machine from another country that has a piping system that needs registering. Can I do this or do I need to scrap and replace the piping system? The piping system will need to meet all the requirements of a Canadian registered piping system – acceptable quality control program, acceptable materials, CRNs on all the fittings, calculation set, a drawing with identified code materials.

We have been involved in imported machines with piping systems not built to Canadian standards but requiring registration. The process can be very long and expensive (think more than 1 year). It is often easier to start from scratch.

Do I need to label the CRN number on my vessel? Yes – stamp the CRN number on the code nameplate. On my fitting? No, but the manufacturers logo (as shown on the statutory declaration form) must be visible on each part. Per CSA B51 2009-5.4 Fittings: Fittings shall be permanently marked as required by MSS SP-25. See MSS-SP-25 for specific requirements that vary based on the size and type of fitting.

Do I need a CRN for bolting or gaskets? No. Bolting and gaskets, while integral to the design of connections, such as flanges, are not considered pressure retaining components. Therefore, they do not require registration. Bolting and/or gasket information may be required by the connection manufacturer to calculation their design for CRN registration. For example, M & Y values for gaskets or allowable strengths for bolting material.

Do I need a CRN for a pump? No.

Do I need a CRN for an air compressor? No – but volume bottles between compressor stages and air receiver cylinders need CRNs.

Do I need a CRN for hydraulic components? No – except in circumstances of high operating temperatures. This varies by province.

Do I need a CRN for pneumatic cylinders? No.

I can’t get my product registered but my competitor who makes the same product the same way I do succeeded – is there anything I can do? Plan A – CRNs are not permanent – for a fitting it will expire after 10 years. You can wait until they try to renew and see if they get accepted. Renewal is not a rubber stamping process – full engineering documentation the same as an original submission is required. Plan B – Document and complain. CRNs can be revoked if you prove that a manufacturer is not following the rules of the codes that they claimed when registering. Start with the first province of registration – if that province cancels then all the other provinces will automatically be cancelled. Because we at PVEng Ltd. believe that there already is enough pain built into the whole CRN system by its design, we will not help companies with this un-registering process.

Can I have more than one manufacturer build FITTINGS for me under 1 CRN? Each fabricator would need to declare their own statutory declarations and provide proof of a suitable QC program. If the jurisdictions can register them together they will, otherwise separate numbers will be issued. This is most likely to work if each fabricator was a different branch of the same company.

Can I have more than one manufacturer build VESSELS for me under 1 CRN? Yes, all provinces except Saskatchewan allow this. The registration covers the design and assigns it to an owner. The authorized inspector will determine that an adequate QC program and suitable quality control procedures will be followed during the construction. Note that this assumes that all manufacturers have a legal right to build the vessel granted by the owner of the design. See Move or Name Change for more information.

Can I build more than one PIPING system from my piping registration? No – piping systems are registered to an installed address. Unless the installed address remains the same, then each identical copy would need re-registering.