You need the following paperwork:

The appropriate Fees if the Jurisdiction requires payment up front (Saskatchewan only).

Specific Cover Forms required by the jurisdiction – see Provincial Contacts

A printed Drawing – number of copies and requirements to have a P. Eng. Stamp varies by province – see Provincial Contacts for details. The drawing is expected to be complete with all details required to order the material and fabricate without having to refer to the calculation set.

Calculations done to an acceptable code. See our ASME Samples section for examples of matched drawings and calculation sets suitable for CRN registration.

Proof of Quality Control program. The QC program must be suitable. For example, a copy of a National Board + ASME U Stamp registration would be suitable for a VIII-1 vessel registration. An ISO 9001 with appropriate scope or ASME Stamp could be suitable for a fitting.

The correct number of Statutory Declaration forms for fittings. If registering more than one category of fitting, separate statutory declarations will be required for each category. Each jurisdiction has its own statutory declaration form – do not use the wrong one. If more than one category of fitting will be included in a submission, statutory declarations will be required for each category. The required number of statutory declarations per jurisdiction can be found on the Provincial Contacts page.

Used vessel requirements, the following are required: nameplate photo or rubbing, Ultrasonic Thickness (UT) test results with level II signoff if the vessel is subject to corrosion, location of installation and U1 form.

Fitting registrations also require Statutory Declarations.  The Alberta web site has a guide to filling out Statutory Declarations. Statutory declaration forms are confusing – please fill out the forms carefully.

Saskatchewan and B.C. no longer register category A, B, C & G Fittings. Further information can be found regarding registration requirements using these links: BC Safety Authority and Saskatchewan.

Applying for Registration in One Jurisdiction or More

To register your design in one jurisdiction, determine where your product will be used (watch out for ship to addresses that are fabricators who will send the finished product to other provinces).  Submit all of the required information to that jurisdiction. They will review your submission and return a CRN. If your product is a vessel, the CRN is stamped into the nameplate.

Getting your design registered in more than one jurisdiction is a bit more difficult.  Start your registration in one province.  Once accepted, the proof of registration can then simultaneously to other regions, which would also review your design, and if all goes well, would also register it.  See our Guide to CRN Numbers for more information on how this works.

The process can get more difficult. Often the jurisdictions have questions which were not covered by the first review, and additional information is required (each reviewer has its own rules and requirements). If changes to the drawing or calculation are required, then the changes have to be sent back to the first jurisdiction to accept, and update the CRN number, then it has to be sent out to the other jurisdictions to accept.

Further note: Just because one jurisdiction accepts a design, it cannot be assumed that others will as well. It is not worthwhile looking for the “easiest” province to get a design registered in first. It is more worthwhile to get the fussiest, pickiest province to register the design first, and then submit the design to other provinces that often come back with fewer questions about the design.